My 10-Minute Simple Everyday Makeup Routine for Work
Before creating my 10-minute professional makeup routine I noticed the following:
- My coworkers would sometimes comment on how tired I looked.
- On days I decided to wear makeup, I would sometimes run late for work resulting in me starting my day frazzled. Being frazzled right after waking up only results in my battery taking longer to fully warm me up.
- On the next day when I wouldn't wear makeup, I would foolishly concern myself with the thought that my coworkers noticed that I was a little less "polished" and less "pulled together" for an odd reason that they wouldn't be able to place their fingers on.
- When I randomly decide to wear makeup again, my coworkers would comment on how nice my makeup looked. Sometimes I find the unwanted attention distracting.
After creating my 10-minute makeup routine, the following changes occurred:
- I felt more energized and ready to face the work day. On days where I actually felt drained, at least my coworkers still perceived that I was full of energy.
- I nailed a routine that was natural enough that no one truly noticed when I skipped a day. No more of the "Are you feeling okay today?" questions.
- I barely skip a day because I always have enough time in the morning to do my makeup without running late. I essentially eliminated the questions of what products do I need, is this eyeliner professional, etc. Heck, sometimes I wake up without enough brain power to effectively address these questions.
- Speaking of brain power, psychologists believe that every decision you make no matter how small or large chips away at your energy to make decisions later. I believe this because I'm still slightly fatigued from wedding planning. Oh by the way, POTUS Barack Obama believes this too. Therefore, I'm setting myself up to have more energy for more important decisions later in the day.
So here it is, my routine:
PREP THE NIGHT BEFORE
I cleanse my face using my Clarisonic Mia Fit and a generous dollop of Origins A Perfect World Antioxidant Cleanser with White Tea daily, usually after working out or before I go to sleep. Every other day, I use drug store brand Witch Hazel to clarify my face. After cleansing and clarifying, I apply my Origins GinZing™ Energy-Boosting Moisturizer (or Trader Joe's organic coconut oil).
Update September 2017: My skin is now more oily. So, I switched to using Origins Checks and Balance Frothy Face Wash and Make A Difference Plus+ Rejuvenating Treatment.
MOISTURIZE & TINT
When I wake up the morning, I rinse my face with hot water. Then, I kill two birds with one stone and save time by using a tinted moisturizer. My current go to tinted moisturizer is Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Broad Spectrum SPF 20 - Oil Free formula in Walnut (my Sephora Color Match ID is 1Y12). It's all the moisture I need during the day with a light-weight dewy coverage.
Eyes are not only the window to the soul, but also the secret spiller to your energy levels. To brighten my eyes and look energized, I swipe a neutral golden shimmer shadow across my lids. My favorite is MAC Woodwinked Veluxe Pearl shadow. I line my lids with Urban Decay 24/7 Glide On Pencil Perversion. I follow up with 1 generous coat of Cover Girl Lash Blast in Very Black waterproof formula mascara.
I use MAC Mineralize Blush in Love Thing for my cheeks. It is super pigmented! So, I apply to my blush brush and knock the excess off against my wrist. Then I gently dab, dab, dab up my cheek bone 2x-- 6 dabs for each cheek.
I apply using my powder brush Mary Kay Translucent Loose Powder to my T-zone. It keeps the shine at bay and sets my make up for an all-day look. Tip: If I need to blot during the day, I just grab a 2-ply tissue from the tissue box, pull apart, and blot my T-zone with 1 layer. Voila! I'm shine free again!
I find that my routine is so polished, natural, yet enhancing that I do not need to apply lip color. I keep my Burt Bees Original in my purse and at my desk to keep my lips hydrated and fresh looking.
Related Post: 5 Beauty Tips to Create Your Signature Work Makeup Look
I highly recommend that you create or refine your workday makeup routine. Having your own professional trademark look is an easy step to creating your personal brand and can positively impact your career. Though I don't think it is fair, studies have shown that makeup makes women seem more competent, likable, and attractive. One woman even personally tested this theory herself, and found that people perceived her to be more influential when she wore makeup. How you influence others as you transverse through your career, can likely determine how you will rise. After all, influence is power.